75100385

My insurance company gave me a quote at the beginning of my

My insurance company gave me a quote at the beginning of my car insurance in January. I was paying monthly, then there was a problem with one of my direct payments, so they requested the full remainder of the policy be paid. I did that, and thought my policy was clear for the year.
I just moved to the UK in September, but had been driving for 7 years, so when I initially applied for the policy, I was still using an international license. I was told that when I get my UK license, to let them know and my premium would be lowered. I got my UK license in March and they lowered my premium by about 80 pounds for the year.
A few weeks later, I received an email saying that there was a discrepancy and that I needed to pay 1800 pounds within a week. When I called to debate this, they gave me two stories. They said that because I had a UK license (automatic), it would not be considered a full license and I would have to pay the difference (even though my car is automatic). When I told them that I had told their colleague the type of license initially, and that he did not inform me of this, they reviewed the call and realized I was correct. Then they said that because I have a new license, my driving years started back at 0 (I had 5-7 years no claim when I took out the policy).
Today they called and said that their pricing and quality departments said that they best they can do is cancel my policy and give me 1000 refund (ignoring the cancellation fee), which means that I will need a new policy tomorrow, which will cost thousands more because I have a cancellation now.
I am a student and cannot afford these fees with a day or even a week's notice. What is the best course of action, in your opinion?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.Just to be clear you never misled Admiral in any way and they always knew about the state of your licence?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct. I told them the exact type of international license I had when I started my policy and the type that I changed to when I passed my UK driving exam.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok - then you should write and make a formal complaint. I realise this may take a little while. Once you make a formal complaint it will be investigated. Then if they dont uphold the complaint you can refer it to the Financial Ombudsman.They offer a free, independent service at: www.lgo.org.uk - but sadly you cant do that until you have complained to the insurance company. Therefore you need to follow this process.I realise this does not help you in the short term but the Ombudsman may make them refund this money back to you and take action. The only other thing would be to seek a Court order preventing them cancelling the insurance, but that could be quite expensive.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's it; thank you.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Alex