Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

Our tenant didn't move out after we served him with

Our tenant didn't move out after we served him with a section 21 notice. We got a county court judgement and after the required eviction date he stayed in the property for a further 5 days.
He has paid most of his rent during this time. Currently his security deposit is £1000 and he owes us around £560 for fees to evict him and missed rent.
Now he has gone I would like to keep his deposit as damages, we have now been delayed in renovating to sell the property and therefore must foot the mortgage bill ourselves for potentially longer.
Am I able to keep his entire deposit given his ignorance of the court order?
Kind regards,
Jethro
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question.You will be able to deduct any rent arrears from the deposit however you cannot keep the entire deposit for the reasons you have stated.I appreciate that this may not be the answer you would have hoped for, but if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you