13262538

I have an American friend who was going to come back to the

Customer Question

I have an American friend who was going to come back to the States and was caught by customs officers for having slimming pills which she was told are illegal drugs and apparently contain illegal substances according to the Drug Enforcement Agency. Now, even though she was told today that they are illegal in the UK, my friend claims that they were prescribed by the doctor back in the states. Considering that there are very few chances for her to communicate with me, as a US citizen myself, what would you recommend me do to help her in this situation? Should I get in contact with elected officials and/or the US Department of State for assistance?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HIThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstWhy does she need assistance - what has happened to her?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Claire,Thank you for your response. All I honestly know from an email that she was able to send me yesterday is that she's been held by the agency since she tried to get on her flight yesterday. On top of that, before trying to return to the States, her bank accounts and credit cards have been deactivated since someone else was allegedly using her money, and she can't reactivate them until she can somehow get back to the US. I'm simply seeing if there is anything I can do about her situation or just leave it to the authorities.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
May I ask - have you ever met this friend in person?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I'm afraid I haven't met her in person yet since she was in London for her work. Before she left for the US, she did send me her itinerary for the flights she was supposed to take yesterday, and apparently her flights are postponed for 3 weeks for now. She recently moved to the east coast (Philadelphia) from the west (Los Angeles) and has been trying to settle down there, so she really doesn't know anyone. Do you by any chance know if I can check with the agency to check her status or find out the possible penalties?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
I ask because the events that she has told you about could not have happened as she describesIn the unlikely event that she was carrying prescription drugs not legal here then they would have been confiscated and she would still have been allowed to leaveEqually if there was a problem with her cards then the various Banks and Credit Card agencies have procedures in place to ensure that customers are not left without funds.This sounds like some form of scam designed to get you to pay a fine or something similar on her behalfHowever if you find that difficult to accept then the best way forward is to give all of her details to the US Embassy in London who will assist her IF the story is truePlease ask if you need further details