12826847

My wife and I just moved out of a rented flat, to make sure

Customer Question

My wife and I just moved out of a rented flat, to make sure the property was in good nick when we left I repaired a dent in the wall in the kitchen and then painted all the walls so that the dent and repair were invisible.
After the inspection our agents has come back to us and told us that the repair of the dent in the wall has invalidated the warranty on the damp proofing course and that our landlord says that he told us not to repair it for that very reason. This is patently untrue, when we spoke to the landlord about this he said not to repair it because if we did it'd be a different colour to the rest of the wall and so it would all need repainting. So the dent was repaired and all the walls were repainted.
It turns out he had emailed the agency and told them about the dent and that it should not be repaired because of the damp proofing, however neither he nor they deigned to let us know. Now they want to take a chunk of our deposit to repair the wall and regain the warranty.
As my wife and I were not informed either by word, email or text, are they able to do that?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Have you discussed the landlord's request with the agent?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have. The agent still says we will be charged even though we didn't have the information.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thank you. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can.