29905560

I have a dispute regarding a quote cleaning(wood). I

I have a dispute regarding a quote for floor cleaning(wood).
I Questioned the quote at first but agreed when told the job took 1.5 days.
In the event day one lasted 3 and 3/4 hours and day 2 15 minutes. In total 4 hours.
What are my options.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. At what stage of the dispute are you now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The work completed last week.
I disputed the cost immediately the men left because I was so surprised at the speed. When I queried it the chap who quoted said that is what I agreed. I said that l agreed a job taking up to 1 and a half days to which he answered "what would you have liked me to do leave the mem with you to cut your lawn"
I emailed the owner who responded with very good apologies but no significant move on price. He said we should have been quoted for 2 visits! 1 and a half days by my calc is closer to 12 hours. We had 4! If I allow a couple of hours travel make it 6 in total.
We were misled by the quote comparing the estimated time and the actual. I feel ripped off.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Did they get the job done as per specs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
When you have entered into a contract for work and materials, where the main focus is labour and skill, the Consumer Rights Act 2015 says that the work must be:· Carried out with reasonable care and skill (to the same standard as any reasonably competent person in that trade or profession);· Finished within a reasonable time (unless a specific time has been agreed); and· Provided at a reasonable price (unless a specific price has been agreed). In addition, any information said or written is binding where the consumer relies on it. This will include quotations and any promises about timescales or about the results to be achieved. In your case they can argue that a specific price had been agreed so you were not misled in that sense. One thing to be aware of with tradesmen is that when they say something will take one day you cannot expect them to be there from 9-5 like a normal working day. Often, two days’ worth of work would be two half days, or maybe even less than that, based on what their schedule is and what they do. The main thing here is what the job you asked them to do was and what the agreed price was – that is what determines fairness overall.. Saying that, there are certain factors which must still be considered and particularly whether they amount to an unfair trading practice. However, nothing specifically in this case will amount to that so you cannot directly quote any law and say that they have breached it – this therefore becomes more of a moral issue than a legal one. You can get details n unfair trading practices here: http://www.lawdonut.co.uk/law/sales-and-marketing/consumer-protection/unfair-trading-trade-descriptions-and-pricing-faqs This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the options you have should the matter remain unresolved, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there I no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. If this matter remains unresolved and the tradesmen are still requesting full payment then the ball is really in their court. They can decide whether to take the matter further. What you can do is send them a cheque for the amount you are willing to pay and state that this payment is made in full and final settlement for the work done. If the cash it then they would be accepting it as full and final payment and are unlikely to be able to make further claims. If they reject the payment and take it further they can make a claim in the small claims court. You can either take your chances and defend it or try and settle. If you were to defend and lose then you will only be required to pay the outstanding amount plus the claim and hearing fees, which will not be more than a couple of hundred or so. You will not be liable for their solicitors’ costs if they have incurred such cost.