12826847

I've heard the police are looking to question me regarding

Customer Question

I've heard the police are looking to question me regarding an incident that happened a month or 2 ago.
Now what occurred is that after being out on the town I decided to get a taxi to a new colleagues house, once arriving at a destination my colleague told the taxi driver if he'd just let him out so he could go inside the house and get payment for him. At this point the taxi driver became pretty animated about that we should have told him we didn't have cash before we got in the taxi - I told him I'd stay in the car while my colleague went inside to get payment as insurance, at this point the taxi driver locked both of the doors and became again a little more hostile shouting and swearing and at one point demanded our phones so he could use that as insurance instead - amid this I became pretty agitated and uncomfortable being in an unknown location with a colleague I didn't really know locked in the back of a car down a dark lane so I decided to climb out of the window and it so happened that this led to me fleeing also, my colleague did the same after seeing me.
Now I'm in a position where the police have released an image of me and my colleague in the back of the taxi mentioning they're looking to question us.
Should I hand myself in and explain the situation or see how it plays out
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Do you have an existing relationship with a criminal firm of solicitors who could negotiate for you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, nothing of that nature
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Generally speaking if the police are looking for you then it is better to hand yourself in. However, it is never a good idea to just surrender by walking into a police station. Apart from anything else it may lead to a remand in custody over a weekend. The way to deal with that is to call and make an appointment to surrender voluntarily. A sunday afternoon is always a good time because then if you are held in court is sitting on Monday. A solicitor would do that for you but if you don’t have an existing relationships with one then that might not be possible. Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok sure, that's something I can do myself then is it without an existing solicitor?In that case is it best to call as soon as possible to arrange the appointment for the Sunday then?Also, with regards ***** ***** happened; in your professional opinion am I best to accept responsibility of my actions with remorse and guilt yet still stand by my reasoning of being falsely imprisonend and incident being caused by a reaction of panic? I'm very happy obviously to pay what I owe if necessary to avoid a charge being pressed if possible
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
It is better coming from a solicitor but you can do it yourself. Generally speaking, the police would rather have voluntary attendances because it is less labour intensive for them. It is never a good idea to admit offences at the police station. The only exception is when they are offering a caution and the evidence is overwhelming. Otherwise there is only ever any point in denying evidence. If you cannot truthfully do that then you should be making no comments interview. Just make sure that you have the solicitor the police will offer you who will tell you your best options.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok that's great thanks, *****'ve been sat and thinking about my options and its occurred to me that the only evidence currently the police have against me is the word of the taxi driver and the most substantial in form of a pretty blurred grainy image of me in the back of the taxi. No name, no idea of who I could be really other than yes he looks similar to this human being. I think you're right that admitting offence in the police station is a counter intuitive thing to do.I'll certainly be able to arrange an alibi. Perhaps I should forget about it...
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
But surely you were there?So there can't be an alibi?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes wrong term of phrase there, what I mean to say is that the evidence put forward against me in my eyes is circumstantial yes but to such a degree that if I wanted to I could have a very plausible defence in denying all plausibility of the image including me?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No, because that would not be true.You can't say anything untrue in the course of a defence.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes you're right, perhaps I'll contact a solicitorThanks for you help Jo
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and all the best. Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/