29905560

If I am sacked misconduct and convicted of acriminal

If I am sacked for gross misconduct and convicted of acriminal offence will I lose my work based pension
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Does the scheme or anything in the contract say this may happen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry I don't know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its with a Local Authority scheme
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Generally a dismissal, even for gross misconduct, would not affect a person’s entitlement to their pension and any contributions that have been made towards it, either by the employee or the employer. The limited circumstances when this may occur are if:· There is a specific term in the pensions policy which allows for this to happen. It is not a common occurrence but you are advised to check the policy carefully to see if it says anything about that. If you do not know you are able to request a copy of the scheme policy to check, or simply ask the pensions provider· If you have been found guilty of fraud or serious negligence, the employer may seek to recover any damages caused by your actions and that could include them withholding money from your pension. In any other circumstances, your pension should not be affected. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you