How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 70202
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

How can I stop my sister and her husband threatening me by

Resolved Question:

How can I stop my sister and her husband threatening me by sending registered letters and leaving telephone messages. It is affecting both my wife and my health and I need it to be stopped urgently.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
How many messages? About what?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have received 2 registered letters, 2 phone calls and 2 answer phone messages.
I sent the last registered letter back unopened.
I was asked by my late mum to deal with her and my late brothers financial affairs etc. as I was the only one she could trust in the family.
They have sinister thoughts all the time about me, because I did everything for my mum and brother and they did absolutely nothing, but now they have both passed away they think there is alot of money they are entitled to.
I have sent them all the surplus funds from my brothers estate and now they are after any surplus funds from my mothers estate, which there are none.
I just want them to go away and to be out of me and my wifes life as it is seriously affecting our health.
Can you help us ?***** *****
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Ok. So what is the correspondence about?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They think there is a lot of surplus money from my mothers estate which they are entitled to, but there is no surplus money.
They are accusing me of keeping all the surplus monies and they want it, or they will send the police to my house to arrest me for dishonest dealings.
My mother has lived in a council house all her life, the last 35 years on her own after my dad died in 1980.
My wife and myself were constantly calling in to see her and doing the cleaning and shopping and if we had not done this she would have been in a Care Home 5 years earlier than she was.
They are jealous of me because I did everything for her and they did nothing, nobody in the family liked my sister and her husband because they had a bad attitude and wanted everything they could get for nothing.
Everything they are accusing me of is not true and I just want them to stop.
How can I stop them from harassing me ?***** *****
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I’m really sorry but this isn’t harassment. I realise that it is contact that you would rather not have but it is a matter about which they are entitled to correspond. They may be wrong in their claim but that is a different matter and every claim involves one side that loses. You are not describing a disproportionate amount of contact or of an abusive or threatening kind or at anti social hours. This is reasonable and proportionate. They are making threats that are unlikely to come to anything as the police will not be interested but that doesn’t turn the pursuit of a legitimate claim into harassment. I’m very sorry but their claim is one that will have to be dealt with if they decide to pursue it. Can I clarify anything for you? Jo
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you