12826847

My husband is a self employed taxi driver. He rents his

Customer Question

My husband is a self employed taxi driver. He rents his 8 seater mini bus from a local rental firm and has done for the last 15 months.
I handle all of the accounts and administration and issues started to arise when we began having problems with the bus.
Every time something went wrong on the bus my husband was told that it was wear and tear and therefor his problem.
Every week when he goes to pay the weekly rent he has to sign only the top copy of a contract and so I told him to ask for a copy of the contract and the terms and conditions as they are different for the taxi drivers that they rent to.
After months of requests and there excuses we still don't have a copy and they still insist on him signing the top copy.
He has arranged meetings with the manager and owner of the company and when my husband turns up he is told that he's not there and when he does catch him he claims to be too busy to talk.
The contract is neither a hire nor a lease. From the moment my husband picked it up 15 months ago it has not been in their possession unless it has gone in for repairs.
This week the owner has changed the contract to now include that we have to accept full liability for any overhead damage. We already have to take his insurance of £65 per week and that has £1000 excess which leaves us paying for all repairs as it is.
What are our options if any and is there any insurance we could take out to cover ourselves?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.For now please let me know whether he remembers signing any contract at all about the bus please?Alex