29905560

I own a printing company and have a high profile political

i own a printing company and have a high profile political client who i do alot of work for. We printed a flyer for them in which they accused there opponent of being a racist. they have been reported and a civil suite is to be brought, is my clients opponent able to sue my company, as the printer
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.
Has your company been mentioned in any of the disputes so far?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
not yet but i received a call from the complainer asking to confirm if i had printed it.
Ok, thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you
Many thanks for your patience. This will most likely be a case of defamation, where an untrue statement is made about another party and that affects their reputation or they suffer losses/damages as a result. To be defamatory, the statement must be published. Publication takes place whenever defamatory matter has been communicated to a third party. To be found liable, the defendant must be a primary or secondary publisher of the defamatory statement. The primary publisher is a person who exercises direct control over the published statement, in this case it would be the person who made the statement, its author. The secondary publisher can still be liable if it makes the defamatory statement available to third parties. So in this case, printers, such as yourselves, can also become liable. Saying that there is a defence you can use in your position, which you can raise should you find yourself on the receiving end of a formal defamation claim. This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the possible defence you can use, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there I no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you
Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Thank you. The main defence you will have is that of ‘innocent dissemination’. Certain persons including printers as yourselves, may escape liability if they can show they took reasonable care in relation to the publication and did not know, and had no reason to believe, that they caused or contributed to the publication of a defamatory statement. The formal requirement Is that the defendant must prove that they had no knowledge that what they published was defamatory, had no reason to believe that the material would contain libel, and also that this lack of knowledge was not due to negligence on their part. Should the matter result in formal legal action against you, then this would be the main line of defence.