Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I have just moved house and the new owner of my previous house

I have just moved house and the new owner of my previous house is complaining I left the house dirty and that the oven was broken and the back door was broken . Also that I left rubbish in the garden. He is threatening to invoice me for getting them fixed . They were not broken to my knowledge when I left the property. a small window lock was broken but I informed the estate agent . What should I do ?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thanks for your enquiry. Under the terms of the Contract, you were under a duty to sell the property in the condition it was at the date Contracts were exchanged. A Seller is also under a duty to empty the property of all rubbish. Therefore, on the basis that you did not break the oven or back door between the date you exchanged Contracts and completion, you have nothing to worry about. As regards ***** ***** you should of course cleared these items. Depending on how much rubbish was there, you feel it morally correct to ay your Buyer say £50-£70 to enable him to hire a skip. If we are only talking about a couple of bags of rubbish, I would offer to go and collect them or just ignore his request. Either way, if your Buyer is not happy with your proposals, he would have to issue small claims County Court proceedings against you and provide evidence to the Court that you broke the oven and back door between the date of exchange of Contracts and completion, which is going to be almost impossible for him to prove. I am therefore pretty confident that your Buyer will take any further action against you, if you both can't come to a mutual agreement. I hope this assists and sets out the legal position. Kind Regards Al
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you . He is also saying that I didn't leave keys to
Some of the Window locks which is not the case . I will write back to
Him following your advice
Hi, it appears to me that your Buyer is "just trying it on", and accusing you of things he will never be able to prove, even if they were true (apart from the rubbish). If I have assisted, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer, so I may get credited for my time. Best Wishes Al
Hi,If I have assisted you, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer.Kind RegardsAl
Hi,Can I be of any more assistance to you?Kind RegardsAl