29905560

I entered into an agreement on the 4th May with a debt collecting

I entered into an agreement on the 4th May with a debt collecting company FINAL DEMANDLIMITED. I paid them by cheque £474 . I do not wish to have this agreement so can i claim my £474 back from them or cancel the cheque.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
How old is the debt please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry i dont want a telephone call can you tell me the following.Can I stop a payment by cheque that I agreed to pay on Wednesday 4th May 2016 FOR A CONTRACT I SIGNED
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I get a response today
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. Yes I will respond after I have reviewed the relevant information and laws. I will then get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your patience. There is nothing stopping you from contacting the bank and placing a stop on the cheque. Assuming it has not yet cleared it will prevent the company from cashing it. However, what you have to consider is whether doing so will place you in breach of contract with the company. You have to check whether the contract you had with them allows you to cancel the contract. You need to see if there is a cancellation clause in there because sometimes the contract may not have such a clause. If no cancellation clause existed then your rights will depend on the type of contract and where it was entered. For example, if this was a contract where the company came to your property and you signed it there, you will have certain rights. You will also have rights if you signed up to this over distance, such as online or over the phone. This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the options on cancellation based on the type of contract you had, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there I no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you