13262538

My partner left me 20 years ago and left me to bring up 3 children,

Customer Question

My partner left me 20 years ago and left me to bring up 3 children, I am still living in the same house but my Partner's name is ***** ***** the tenancy, she has since married and was living elsewhere, since then she has parted from her husband and has had 2 other living accommodations, she now wants her original council house back, can you tell me where i stand on this please ?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further informtaion firstIs the Tenancy in her sole name?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But she left the premise over 20 tears ago, and left the partner to bring up the children solely on his own
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Is the Council aware of your position?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would think not, but the rent has been paid regularly by the father of the children, so would there be any point in advising the council, as long as they get their rent, they would be satisfied and its been like that for the past 20+ years
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
How big is the property and who now lives there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is two Bedroomed House and the Partner who remained there and has paid the rent on the property for the last 20+ years has his Grand daughter now living with him.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately as the named Tenant your partner is entitled to return to the property if she wishes.Your only option is to apply to the Court for a Transfer of the Tenancy using the Family Law Act 1986The form is herehttp://www.jordanpublishing.co.uk/system/uploads/attachments/0008/5521/D50B.pdfYou have an excellent chance of successYou can read more herehttps://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/relationships/relationship-problems/relationship-breakdown-and-housing/if-you-re-married-or-in-a-civil-partnership-relationship-breakdown-and-housing/if-you-re-married-or-in-a-civil-partnership-and-you-rent-your-home-relationship-breakdown-and-housing/relationship-breakdown-and-housing-transferring-a-tenancy-to-a-spouse-or-civil-partner/Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for all your help, it is much appreciated,
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome - I hope all goes well