Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

Automatic pensions enrolment: My company has a staging date

Automatic pensions enrolment: My company has a staging date of 1st February 2017, but I am a little confused about exactly when employees/employer payment obligations should start. The company must write to the employee on this date and tell them when this will happen, but must it be immediately, or, for example, could it be from 1st April 2017 in this case? The government template includes this text: To help people save more for their retirement, all employers are now required by law to provide a workplace pension scheme for certain staff and pay money into it.
We therefore enrolled you or will enrol you on [insert date] into our pension scheme in this pay period because you met all of the following criteria: etc.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. On your staging date you should be working out who to put into a pension and within 6 weeks after your staging date you should be writing to your staff. You need to declare your compliance within 5 months after your staging date.If you use this calculator it will give you a duties checker: http://www.thepensionsregulator.gov.uk/en/employers/duties-checker/outcomes/i-am-an-employer-who-has-to-provide-a-pension/I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, but you have not really answered my original question i.e. exactly when do we have to start employer and employee contributions into the scheme? Is it with immediate effect from the staging date, so in our case, the February payroll? Or is it any time between February and when we have to declare compliance?

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Apologies, the staging date is the date you must enrol all eligible employees and therefore commence payments.