How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I went to collect winnings £5 bet on Leicester City to

Resolved Question:

I went to collect winnings for a £5 bet on Leicester City to win the league.I was given odds of 9 to 1 on 26th December 2015 at 14.23.24 hrs. The odds were clearly written on my receipt.The cashier simply gave me my £5 back,not the £50 less tax that I was expecting.She said that was because the bet was placed 1 hr 31minutes too late.Can this be legal?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.For now please let me know whether you were late or in time?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I placed the bet ,Iwas not told I was not in time
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Sadly bets are not enforceable by law, but it may be worth trying to take them to Court just to give them hell and they may take a commercial view and pay out.You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you