Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I have just completed the sale of a house (last Tuesday), but

I have just completed the sale of a house (last Tuesday), but have not yet received payment of the balance into my bank account (over 200k pounds) from our solicitors (Simpson Millar llp) via CHAPS, even though they tell me payment has left their account. I'm concerned that we may have been the victims of some kind of fraud or theft during the transfer. If that's the case, do we have any legal protection for recovery of the money?
Thanks,
Clive
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hi Clive,Thanks for your enquiry, and am sorry to hear of your plight. In circumstances where there has been cyber fraud, us Solicitors have to take the following steps-You must immediately take certain actions if you find or suspect that your firm has been the victim of a scam, resulting in your client account being compromised:Inform your bank.Inform the police at the National Fraud and Cyber Crime Reporting Centre on 0300(###) ###-####Inform your professional indemnity insurer.Inform the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) by telephone on 0121(###) ###-####or email at***@******.*** will be pleased to note that your Solicitors will also have to notify their Professional Indemnity Insurers, and if the money is not recovered, you will be able to claim your money back from your Solicitors insurers. (All Solicitors have to have professional indemnity insurance for at least £2 million, so you will be covered for the full claim).I hope this assists and that your money turns up.If I have helped, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer.Kind RegardsAl
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's great, thanks for your very prompt and helpful response.