Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I'm in the process of separating from my wife, we are still

I'm in the process of separating from my wife, we are still married, and I have my suspicion that she has been left money by my father in law, and all of a sudden she wants to get divorced, Am I entitle to any of the money that was left by either a will or life insurance?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. You are not automatically entitled to inheritance from your father in law, however as part of the divorce there will need to be a financial settlement and both of you need to gice full and frank disclosure of your assets and financial positions. Inheritance is not a matrimonial asset and initially the courts will not include it in division of assets, however the courts will bring it into division if both your needs cannot be met from the matrimonial assets.I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.