Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

My landlord failed to protect my deposit within 30 days (he

My landlord failed to protect my deposit within 30 days (he took over 6 months) and is now holding my deposit without returning it at the tenancy end. He is claiming damage (which we dispute) but has not returned any proportion of it. How do we get the deposit back - are we entitled to compensation?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Technically speaking under S.212 - 215 of the Housing Act*****would be obligated to order repayment of the deposit and compensation of three times the value of the deposit (S.214(4)) for his failure to properly bond the deposit. If you want to pursue him for this you would have to sue him - I would recommend writing to him and saying:- He has failed to comply with his obligations under the Housing Act;- He has not bonded the deposit in time;- If he does not return the deposit you reserve the write to pursue you all avenues open to you including suing him in the county court;- I would say to him that under S.214(4) of the Housing Act*****would be obligated to award you three times the deposit in damages for his failure to comply.I look forward to hearing from you.Kind regards AJ