29905560

I am a supervisor in a factory and the health & safety manager

I am a supervisor in a factory and the health & safety manager keeps calling me the employer of the 6 staff under me, is this correct or am I just responsible for them ?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. I don't quite understand your query can you please clarify a bit further?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a weekly paid employee at supervisor level, in the eyes of the law, am I an employee or an employer as I am beinging told I am the employer of the staff & any contractors who are working in my area by the health & safety manager of the factory I work in. I believe I am an employee, but responsible for the staff working in my area, not the staffs employer
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
I presume you work for a company which also employs the people below you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Morning Ben
Yes this is correct
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and the 2 levels of management above me are also employed by the company
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
You will not be the employer of these people, the company, the actual employer here will be the employer. You do not employ those people, you are responsible for them and these are duties delegated to you by the employer, but that does not make you their employer. So you are not responsible for them in terms of what the employer’s legal duties are, such as paying them, giving them holidays, etc. Having responsibility over someone and being their employer are two completely separate things. So they could refer to you as their employer but legally you are not. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for your help,
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome, all the best