29905560

If I read a poem from a book I have purchased at a funeral

If I read a poem from a book I have purchased at a funeral where there is no monetary gain, am I liable under Copyright Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Reading at funerals, weddings, etc is not really an issue. Often it would be the reproduction of the material that would potentially cause issues, so if you wanted to print the text in question and distribute it to the congregation then that is where the copyright issues would likely arise. Even then you have to be somewhat realistic about it - what are the chances of the copyright owners actually finding out about what happened. This is a small scale event, not something which will become widely known publically so thousands of people often take a chance all the time without any repercussions. So if you only read the material and do not reproduce the text, it will not be an issue.I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you