Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My partner died recently. She made a will (in hospital) and

My partner died recently. She made a will (in hospital) and witnessed by two independent
persons. Making myself sole Executor of her will. Under gifts& Legacies just myself...I give any monies and goods to my long term partner (myself I am named)
Informed Bank today with copy of will, death certificate my I/d. She has 3 accounts obviously in her name. Do I close accounts? put the accounts in my name? for I am going to use some cash for burial/costs.
Also she has one account with a building society...but in her married name. She has been legally divorced for many years now. I have not informed them as yet. Can you help me with procedure please.
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your enquiry, and am sorry to hear of your loss. Whenever someone leaves more than £5,000, all Banks etc do have the right to ask for a copy of the Probate, before allowing the Executor to close the account. I am guessing that your Partner's Estate is worth more than £5,000. As Executor, therefore, you will need to apply for Probate- this can be done by you either making an appointment at a local Probate Registry or asking a local Solicitor to do the necessary paperwork for you. If the Will was a home made Will, as opposed to one prepared by a Solicitor, the Probate Registry will often ask one of the witnesses to swear a declaration, confirming that the Will was executed correctly. If this is required, you are best to get a Solicitor to prepare this declaration, so you know it is in the correct format. Once Probate has been granted, you will then be able to close all the accounts. I hope this assists you and sets out the legal position. Please let me know if you require any further clarification. Kind Regards Al