Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

Clear answer Aston. Same case. My deceased partners bank

Clear answer Aston.
Same case. My deceased partners bank accounts are in her maiden name, her building society
account is in her married name. Is this going to be a problem? Am I going to need a solicitor?
Her estate is worth about £30,000 plus Should I be concerned about the married building society account? or are they both treated the same after probate?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hi, there's nothing to worry about the different names on the accounts- however, when you apply for Probate, you will have to make it clear that your Partner held accounts in different surnames, and the Probate Registry will then make sure that the Probate document refers to her in both names Hence the appropriate Bank won't have an issue in closing the account. You may feel that it would be easier for a Solicitor to sort out the Probate for you, if you don't min paying- if you just ask the Solicitor to obtain Probate for you, he should charge you around £300 plus VAT. Please do NOT rate my answer to this question or you will be charged again- I should have answered this query with your last question. Good luck and best Wishes Al