Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

Last year I bought a car from a garage. Soon after I

Hello, last year I bought a car from a garage. Soon after I did it car broke down, garage was attempting to repair it (at least that was what they were saying). After more then month waiting for my car to be repaired I gave up and I start a claim against garage in MCOL. This spring, judgment was made, I won this case, I have confirmation and judgment "on paper" but I can't get my money back, because this garage either just changed its name or closed and open a new one in same place. As far as I know there is more people cheated like that. I know about 7 other customers that got same problem as I do. Is there any way I can get my many back? I would like to mention, I have no idea where my car is, I didn't see it since June last year, so at the moment I don't have car and money.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 10 months ago.
Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Is the Judgment against a limited company? If so do you have the name of that company? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes, name is ***** ***** Clean Car Motor Company,***** BH23 2AX Christchurch. Now this company with different name or different company but under same address continue selling cars.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 10 months ago.
Hi, Thank you. How much are you owed? And did you by any chance pay for this by credit card? Have you thought about reporting the car as stolen? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Car was worth £3200, judgement was for £3970 ( includes cost of starting a claim in MCOL and insurance and tax). Yes It was paid by debit card. And I was thinking about reporting my car as stolen in this situation but now I have no idea how it lokks like after I won a case. Car belongs to me until they will pay or it doesn't?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 10 months ago.
Hi, Thank you. The car belongs to you if you have the V5 and log book registered in your name. I cannot find a limited company in the name of clean car motor - do you know who you actually paid the money to? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Part of my account statement attached where you can find payments for car (3rd and 5th june). And link to reviews website: https://www.yell.com/biz/clean-car-motor-company-christchurch-8281178/
Expert:  Alex J. replied 10 months ago.
Hi, Believe the company is Atom Vehicles Limited. Were you sold the car by someone called Stephen or Darren? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It is Atom Vehicles Limited now, but it was not when I was buying my car. Claim was against Clean Car Motor Company. As I said, This Atom replaced Clean Car not so long time ago. And I think guy I was talking with was Darren
Expert:  Alex J. replied 10 months ago.
Hi, Thank you. Atom Vehicles Limited has existed since December 2014, at the address you mentioned. Before that it was ATOMOTORS LTD. Is it possible Clean Car Motor Company is a trading name of Atom Vehicles Limited. Do you still have the car log book? Who was listed as the previous owner?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Previous owner is ***** ***** Monoghan,***** Bournemouth, BH6 5PL
Expert:  Alex J. replied 10 months ago.
Hi, Thank you. This is clearly not the person you paid. As a starting point I would write to the premises where you left car originally at put them on notice that if they are not able to co operate in helping you find the car you will have to report it to the police as stolen. Essentially this is what has happened with no honest or reasonable explanation, and with the car just going missing, this can reasonably only be a criminal act. Whoever has the car should not be driving it. Secondly can you ask someone to anonymously inquire about a car at the new company and see if they can find out what happened to Clean Car? If Clean Car is just a trading name of Atom, then you should be able to pursue Atom for the money. Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
So just simply write to Atom with a question, do they now where is my car because this is the place where it was seen last time? And then, if Clean Car was just a trading name, then I can start new claim against Atom yes? But if not, or If this person will not be able to find out, is there any other way to get such information? I would like to mention, when I started a claim against Clean Car they respond to court as Clean Car. but it happened only once
Expert:  Alex J. replied 10 months ago.
Hi, Thank you. Yes ask Atom if they know the whereabouts of your car, wait to see what they say. If the response is unhelpful say you have no choice but to report it as stolen. If Clean Car is a trading name of Atom you can consider enforcing your Judgment against Atom. Did Atom accidentally respond to the proceedings once?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Not as an Atom but as Clean Car, they dispute my claim and wrote an explanation that car was ready which of course was a lie and I can proof that easy.
I'll write to them a letter asking do they now what is happening with my car informing them, that if I will not get respond then I will report it as stolen. But still, I just want get my money back, this car's engine is a wreck.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 10 months ago.
Hi, Thank you. You should try and get the car back because it must have some scrap value at least to mitigate your losses. You can then try and enforce the judgment, but crucial to doing so is proving whether Clean Car is a trading name of Atom.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If there is a way to check this trading name without asking them? Because I don't think they will admit, even if it is. That what happened to me, happened already to quite many people and is still happening. They just selling wrecks hoping that customer will give up eventually. If I would try to enforce judgment, then I can do this only against Clean Car, because they were defendants.I forget to mention, that documents stating, they lost in court and they have to pay, where delivered, but not taken by them, because they are not Clean Car. That is what I understood at least.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 10 months ago.
Hi, Thank you. Have you tried contacting Trading Standards at your local council? If they have had complaints from other customers they may be able to shed some light on what relation Atom Vehicles has to Clean Car? Also your bank statement does not say who you paid the money to, i.e which company or person - can you ask your bank to confirm this?
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience: Solicitors 2 years plus PQE