29905560

I recently signed up to do a welding course with a company

Customer Question

I recently signed up to do a welding course with a company called bright sparks welding, when I signed up a man came to my house to sort everything out I asked on multiple occasions if I could cancel the course at any stage during the course to which he replied yes I can ring my tutor and request the cancellation so I signed up and waited for my confirmation to come through the post after 2 weeks I received nothing from any of the 3 companies I was now dealing with so I text Dale the man who signed me up how id cancel without any details with no reply so the next week I looked through the paper work I had that he had left and rang all 3 companies and with the 1st company (trades gateway) they had no record of me on their system so I rang the loan company (cf4ts) and they said it was all to do with bright sparks welding so I rang them to find out I had a 14 day cooling of period in which I could cancel after that I am now in the contract for good which has a 7 thousand pound loan with it and by this point I still haven't received anything from any company 2 days later I received all my college details with the dates from 2 weeks before which I found abit suspicious. I have evidence of texts letters from all companies. please can you help.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Have you contacted the college regarding this to verify the company's details?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have sent an email to bright sparks after the 2 weeks cooling off because I was waiting to receive my documents which only came after I rang them
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, sorry I was offline by the time you had replied. Can you please let me know if the contract was signed at your home?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it was signed at my house I asked if I could leave at anytime he replied yes then never read the details to me or pointed out the fact there was only 14 days in which to cancel left me which a handful of documents and said the rest would arrive within 3-5 working days 2 weeks later I hadn't received anything
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. A consumer’s rights in this situation are mainly determined by the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013. These Regulations apply to contracts for sales conducted on the trader’s business premises, off the trader’s premises (e.g. at the consumer’s home) and at a distance (e.g. online). All types of transactions are subject to the requirement by the trader to issue the consumer with specific pre-contractual information, as long as it is not a contract entered off the trader’s premises for a value of less than £42. If this information is not provided then the consumer would not be bound by the contract and it can also be a fineable offence for the trader. Details of the required information can be found here:· Contracts entered off the trader’s premises or at a distance - http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/3134/schedule/2/made In terms of cancellation rights, these only apply to off-premises and distance contracts, subject to some limited exceptions (such as personalised goods). The statutory cancellation periods are as follows:· Services – 14 days after the day the contract was entered into· Goods – 14 days after the day the goods came into the physical possession of the consumer The above cancellation periods may be extended by up to 12 months if the trader has failed to issue the consumer with notice of their right to cancel. Once that information has been provided within the initial 12 month period, the cancellation rights of 14 days start to run from the date after the consumer receives that information. So follow the link above to see if you were issued with the required information at or before the time you entered into the contract. If you were not then you will have the right to extend the cancellation period. This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the next steps you should follow if this matter remains unresolved, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there I no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to know what would be best to do next I paid 50 pounds on the day and nothing was read to me regards ***** ***** want to know if I can get out my contract or not
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, ye as mentioned what I provided above is your basic legal position and I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the next steps you should follow if this matter remains unresolved, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there I no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you
Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. First of all, as mentioned, you need to check whether you were given the required pre-contractual information. The link is: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/3134/schedule/2/made Assuming you were NT given such information then you are still within time to cancel this. However, if you were given it then your cancellation rights would only have lasted for 14 days after signing the contract. If you can still cancel because you had not received this information, then you need to contact the company with which you entered into the contract and advise them of this and point them to the legal requirements to provide you with the relevant information. If they refuse to cancel this then you can do it yourself, by stopping any payments you have coming out. It would then be for them to pursue you further if necessary but they would need to prove that you did not have the right to cancel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He told me I could cancel at anytime I signed everything and he left me copies of the stuff I signed then after 2 weeks when I had not received any further information I had a read of the small print and that's where it said I had 14 days to cancel so I text the man I signed up with about how to cancel so I could do it within the 14 days and he never replied which meant I missed the 14 days
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
ok what has happened has happened, if you now wish to cancel then you do so be cause without their consent you cannot do anything else apart from cancel it yourself