75100385

Are there any laws about investigating people online (perhaps

Hi, are there any laws about investigating people online (perhaps if they're being harassed or something) - using information that's already out there in the public domain from websites, social media accounts, searches etc? In particular, what are the legal implications of charging clients to investigate people for them? It would be things they could do themselves but might not have the time/know how and so on.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.Could you please explain your situation a little more?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,I'm afraid I can't speak on the phone at the moment. I offer online writing/proofreading services and with the popularity of shows such as Catfish etc I was thinking of offering research/investigation services as well - I'm not a PI, so it would just be things people could do themselves but might not have time for, e.g. searching social media profiles etc. I just didn't want to be breaking any laws/didn't know if a license of some kind was needed, thank you!
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Yes you can do this. As long as you are not harassing anyone and just harvesting information which is available tp the public, you dont need any form of licence.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex,Great, thank you. Just one bit of clarification please - would sending, say, a message to someone online constitute as harassment? For example if a client wanted to ask someone a question but didn't want to do it themselves/if I needed to clarify something with the person I was looking into? Or would any form of communication be a no-no?Thank you!
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
A single message - no. Multiple messages yes it could be.Does that clarify?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great, thank you!