12826847

A Person "borrowed" my car and knowingly deprived me of it

A Person "borrowed" my car and knowingly deprived me of it permanently. In addition, he asked for money , and received it, many times, as I now know, in the pretence o recovering money for the "missing" car. Two possible offences, theft and pecuniary deception? Will the police take these matters seriously? (I now know this man to be a serial offender). He is, probably fraudently, on benefits. Is there any chance of "an attachment of earnings order"? I would be extremely grateful for any advice that you may be able to give. Thank you. Morris Bisdee
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Why did you give him money?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Because he said he had "lost" the car and needed money to track it down.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
But why didn't you just report it stolen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Because naively I thought that he would get it back!
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I’m really sorry but that is likely to be an issue. He seems to be saying that you lent the vehicle to him and the fact that you didn’t report it stolen or taken without consent is going to be a real problem. The money is another issue I’m afraid. It is going to be really hard to get a court to accept that you would make payments to the person who removed your car when you could have just despatched the police to recover it. If your account is accepted as it’s highest then it is a TWOC or a theft and probably a fraud but whether it could be established is another matter. I’m very sorry but I have to give you truthful information. Can I clarify anything for you? Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** visit police tomorrow.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and all the best. Please remember to rate my answer. Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jomo1972’.