12826847

My neighbour is calling the police saying we are beating each other up. We have had many p

Customer Question

My neighbour is calling the police saying we are beating each other up. We have had many problems with this neighbour . We reported him to his landlord for his behaviour. We have balls being kicked into our garden all the time, we have the kids sitting on shed staring into our garden, we have tried talking, and now if myself or my partner have the slightest disagreement he calls police claiming he is worried that we are hittingeach other. This is becoming a form of intimidation to us. We do not get physical we do not row continuously. We hear them through the walls, slamming doors, dogs barking, kids whining, playing music etc. The walls are thin, but they are now doing this latest stunt and I want ot know what I can do. We have explained to the police twice that we wouldnever hit each other or get physical. They want to note it down as an incident on their records and I feel victimised by this, and intruded upon and I feel this is the whole point for why our neighbour is doing this. T
Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 months ago.
How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I could not open this page last night so can you answer now
Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 months ago.
Yes, what is your question about this please?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My neighbour is calling the police saying we are beating each other up. We have had many problems with this neighbour . We reported him to his landlord for his behaviour. We have balls being kicked into our garden all the time, we have the kids sitting on shed staring into our garden, we have triedtalking, and now if myself or my partner have the slightest disagreement he calls police claiming he is worried that we are hittingeach other. This is becoming a form of intimidation to us. We do not get physical we do not row continuously. We hear them through the walls, slamming doors, dogs barking, kids whining, playing music etc. The walls are thin, but they are now doing this latest stunt and I want ot know what I can do. We have explained to the police twice that we wouldnever hit each other or get physical. They want to note it down as an incident on their records and I feel victimised by this, and intruded upon and I feel this is the whole point for why our neighbour is doing this. There is no fight going on between myself and my partner at all and this is becoming a form of harassment. My neighbour knows that if he says he is worried about us, that police have to come out to check. This is not acceptable. We told the police we had a minor disagreement, they wanted to note it as an "incident" I refused saying having a normal disagreement is not a crime nor an incident. We are not harming each other, we are putting up with a lot of crap from these people and it is another way to get at us. The walls are very thin and we haear them all the time, talking , kids crying, music playing dogs barking,w e just ignore, but they are now doing this to us, using police to intimidate and humiliate us when there is nothing to be calling police about.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 months ago.
Yes, I've read the facts.What is your question about this please?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How do I deal with this. I cannot have police being called to my house every other week on a whim of the neighbour. Surely I can do something so that this form of harassment is not allowed to continue.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I want to know what I can that will bring this to a halt.Myself & Stephen do not have fights, physical or otherwise. We do have normal disagreements, like anybody else. We have just announced our engagement to all our friends and family. We have been together over 5 years and would never dream of hitting each other. I want to be able to stop this harassment & slander, as there is no basis for his accusations. He is deliberately using police for his own ends, wasting ours and police time.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 months ago.
Well, there is no way of doing that. Ultimately if this person wants to behave badly there are no magic wands to make it stop. All you can do is defend any allegations he makes. Of course his reporting is attention seeking. That is mostly what low level crime reporting amounts to. If people were busy they wouldn't have time to waste the time of the police on twaddle. The trouble with this though is that, I'm afraid, you created a motivation to take revenge when you made a report to the landlord. Every action you take has a consequence. If you make reports about other people, even if they are merited, that will create animosity. It would be nice if we lived in a world where people didn't make reports to gain revenge but unfortunately we do. I suppose you could get a solicitor to write to him warning him of the laws of defamation. That would cost about £100 plus VAT and is often very effective. I wouldn't suggest it here though. Given the history it is likely to make things work. Just ignore him, defend any allegations he makes and he will get bored in the end. Also, the more his allegations are without merit the less likely it is that the police would think he is reliable. Can I clarify anything for you? Jo
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have been ignoring him for nearly 6 months, but now he is getting into calling the police for nothing. So he can continuously call out the police to me, with all the upset, emotional distress and humiliation that comes with police continuously knocking on my door, and the best I can do is accept it.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
So I am not only being harassed by him, and intimidated by him, but now also the police (albeit inadvertently)!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I was put in an impossible position the first time I met him. he was verbally abusive and aggressive hanging over my garden wall screaming at me about a fire. I apoligesed and asked him when his line would be empty and he said "when my washing basket is empty". I then spoke with council about my legal obligations and they told me I was not being a nuisance. Regardless we then made sure no washing out before lighting a small garden fire, but still he then had footballs kicked into our garden, with sni**ering and giggly after.........we tried to deal with that, we discussed truce and getting on with our lives, bu the is not happy without picking on me, and the best I can do is live with it, and defend it. I went to his landlord as also his dogs were relentlessly throwing themselves against our fence when I was in my garden, gardening! I was afraid, but landlord did nothing, he is some church layman who has no idea what his obligations, his words "I am doing this for my church for the love of my God",.............! Then he said if I didn't stop contacting him I would be sued..for harassment, he had not even discussed the issues with the church's tenants at all
and now I ignored these people and they kicked a ball into our garden whilst we were having a very small (5 people) family get together for the afternoon, again followed by sni**ering, and now again the police called out for us effectively bickering in our own house with windows & doors closed.......
Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 months ago.
Oh yes, it is incredibly childish of him. The police probably have better things to do as well.I was just making the point that is one effect of making reports about people. That is why I would only really ever advise anybody to do it in circumstances that were so serious they could not be ignored.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 months ago.
there isn't any way of preventing him from making reports. You can't get an injunction to stop him ever calling the police.There is an action you can bring in harassment but you are not describing grounds here.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
surely he has to at some point provide proof of what he is saying, surely he cannot continue to call out police over and over. I have shown them we have no signs of fighting no bruising nothing, no red marks or cuts, each time I show them where is the sign we are getting physical. This is being noted as "incidents" by police and is making me ill now. I have a stress problem which can cause migraines and all day to day I feel headachey nauseous ill and dizzy and this is being caused by this neighbour who is driving me mad. I own my home I cannot move, he is a tenant of a local church... this is ridiculous. Surely he has to prove his case,
Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 months ago.
Well, he can make allegations That is the basis of most offences.He doesn't have to prove his case to get the police to act.The reality is that he will be doing to take revenge about the fact that you reported him to his landlord. We can't go back now and undo the report so we have to deal with the aftermath.