Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

Hypothetical: My sister (Jame) is in a relationship (1.5

Customer Question

Hypothetical:
My sister (Jame) is in a relationship (1.5 years with a married man (John).
John and his wife were estranged before the new relationship began. He has 2 children with his wife (Sarah).
***** *****ves in a second home (joint owned with John) with the 2 children.
John and Jane have since welcomed a new child. Jane has moved into John's first house.
Jane is now renting her own house to external tenants.
Sarah is now divorcing John.
She is obviously wanting 50% of John's assets.
She also wants a valuation of Jane's house / assets and a percentage of her income.
Is this legal? To what extent are Jane's assets available to Sarah?
Names changed for privacy.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. Sarah has absolutely no claim towards any of Jane's assets. She can only consider assets that the husband has a legal or beneficial interest in. Given that John and Jane are unmarried he has no beneficial interest in any of her assets unless there are formal agreements or deeds of trust in place.If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.