12826847

There, I have been contacted by a debt collection

Customer Question

Hi there,I have been contacted by a debt collection agency recently about a personal debt. Basically i bought a house off this lady and all was paid etc per the normal channels. Throughout the process she asked me for more money, specifically 5000 then 7000 cash. I told her that it might be possible to pay this but that i needed to check with a solicitor. She also refused to add them to the property fees. After the property was complete I informed her that I did not think the payment of that amount was legal. In essence she believes we have a legally binding contract. Everything was done over text message, there was no legal contract nor signature simply a discussion either way. I need to know to what extent the contract is binding given the circumstances etc.Thanks
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Sorry my initial post did not register for some reason. Can you please let me know if you ever agreed to pay this or it was always a 'maybe'?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, not sure if you saw my initial query above - Can you please let me know if you ever agreed to pay this or it was always a 'maybe'?