75100385

I am waiting to find a part time job and will then declare

Customer Question

Hi...I am waiting to find a part time job and will then declare bankruptcy as I have unmaneageable debts from my marriage, mainly from my husband's studying and then not working but I am the guarantor and was not able to push any of them onto him on divorve sadly. I understand the large majority of bankrupts in england do not pay IPA but I am really worried about getting slammed with an IPA as I have a chronic illness and want to be able to get from under the debts soon to start saving money for my daughters studies and future (I may not be around for too many years). I understand you pay IPA if you have over 20 pounds left after expenses and I also understand you do not pay income tax on bankruptcy but do pay pension (basic around 9% with NHS employer) and national insurance. I also understand you do not pay council tax in the bankruptcy year. is it all correct please? I want to understand how I can tell what my nic code will be with new job and whether I can avoid having a tax refund in the year of bankruptcy as I want to avoid an IPA at all costs. Thanks so much!
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 7 months ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes please I need a reply so please find an expert thank you
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 6 months ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  Ash replied 6 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you,What is it you want to achieve please?Alex
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Hi Alex

What I want to achieve is to make sure that once I have declared bankruptcy I do not pay an IPA. That is why I am asking if there is a way to work out how much I will get in my paycheck before I start work. I want to find out if I can make sure I pay the right tax amount to avoid a repayment during the year I am bankrupt and also how I can find out what NIC code I will be on...Does that make better sense now? Many thanks!

Expert:  Ash replied 6 months ago.
If your bankruptcy debt includes Council tax then no, you dont pay it for that charge year.You can use this calculator as a guide:https://nedcab.cabmoney.org.uk/bankruptcypoc.aspBut yes, if you have more than £20 disposable income then you will have to make a contribution.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

That is what I need to clarify: what do you mean by the bankruptcy debt will include council tax? I am up to date with my council tax payments so will I continue to pay council tax during the bankruptcy or not? The link you sent does show council tax in there and I thought this was no longer part of what you paid in bankruptcy?

Thank you for the link also.

You did not talk about the income tax repayment or NIC but lets get the council tax sorted in the first place.

Thank you again

Expert:  Ash replied 6 months ago.
Income tax repayment and NIC is included. Whatever is a debt and asset is included in the bankruptcy.Does that clarify?Alex
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

I am sorry I get quite confused by the wording...I will write what I understand from your response one thing at a time in my own words and see if I get this right.

Council tax

Council tax is due monthly. I will be up to date with my monthly council tax at the time I declare bankruptcy.

Will council tax continue to be taken off me every month during the year of bankruptcy, or, will I not have to pay this monthly council tax for the year of my bankruptcy?

Thank you very much

Expert:  Ash replied 6 months ago.
1. Yes Council tax for the year will be included in the debt.Does that clarify?Alex
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I have done everything possible to write my questions so that the expert has only to reply yes or no and give details but instead he keeps giving the same jargon sentence over and over. I am sorry but if I could follow the jargon I would not be needing an expert in the first place. I dont understand as I have used the site before and have been very satisfied, I want to continue with someone else, so please send them on the whole conversation so far. As I say the answer might be obvious to the experts but it is not to me. THANK YOU