29905560

I had some items of jewellery in my friends shop.

I had some items of jewellery for sale in my friends shop. The items were displayed in a lockable display cabinet. The shop got broken into and some of my items were stolen and later recovered by the police. Not all items were recovered . Can I recover the cost for my items of missing jewellery from the shop owner. He has subsequently informed me that he is not insured.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Was the shop at fault for the theft in any way?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't understand your question. In what respect as the shop was broken into after hours and the thieves were caught in the act but managed to secrete one of my rings
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Well, for example did the shop do something which meant the burglary was carried uot, such as leaving doors unlocked, not setting security alarm, leaving jewellery out so easier to access, etc?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not that I am aware of
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
If you were to make a claim against the shop then you may only do so if you can show that they were in some negligent and that it was such negligence that resulted in the theft of your items. There is no automatic liability for items in their possession and also no formal requirement to have insurance. So you would need to ensure that either you have adequate insurance yourself or that you were satisfied the shop’s insurance was adequate to cover them. If nether applied then you can only pursue them if you can show that they were negligent and such negligence resulted in the theft of the items. If that also does not apply then sadly you cannot legally ask them for compensation so it is one of those unfortunate circumstances where you will have to bear the cost. I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service you have received I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you