12826847

There. I haven't been going in to my bank long time

Customer Question

Hi there. I haven't been going in to my bank for a long time because I'm embarrassed that my account is overdrawn. Yesterday I received a visit from the police who conducted a welfare check to see if things were ok. I confirmed I was ok but said I would visit branch tomorrow. I forgot I am away with work for 3 weeks. Is there anything more the bank can do? Can the police come back even though I confirmed I was safe and well?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Is there any reason you want to avoid police contact?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No none at all. I just don't want to have to go in to the bank while its so overdrawn. I'm just concerned the bank will as the police to call again even though they have seen I'm safe and well. Actually I don't want my partner knowing I'm not going to the bank because he'll ask why and I'll have to tell him. The police called while he was out yesterday but if they called again I would have to tell hkm
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
The police won't be interested now that they know you are not a missing person. The bank will obviously have a claim against you but that is a different procedure. They can sue if they want to although they would close down your account first. They cannot just use the police to enforce their debts. Can I clarify anything for you? Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's very helpful. I'm getting it under control anyway. Would it help if I wrote a letter offering them a repayment plan?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you can do. They obviously may not accept it but you could make an offer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great. Thank you for all your help.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem. Please remember to rate my answer.