Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
12609314

I own the 3 upper storeys of a grade 1 listed Georgian Terrace

Customer Question

I own the 3 upper storeys of a grade 1 listed Georgian Terrace House. The bottom storey is a separately owned flat - both on a 999 year lease. The articles of Association require the exterior of the building to be maintained by the "tenants" on a 2/3th and 1/3th contribution. Both tenants own their respective parts of the building and are also the directors of the company
I propose to get my dozen or so windows overhauled at a cost of £1,200 per window and intend to pay the full circa £15,000 cost. However, should the bottom flat be sold and require work to the windows I could conceivably be asked for a 2/3ths contribution by the new owner.
Please advise if there would be any difficulty in amending the Articles to make each tenant responsible for maintenance of their respective windows - provided the bottom flat owner is agreeable
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 1 year ago.
It is the shareholders of the company that would need to agree to amend the articles of the company not the directors.Provided you are also the shareholders of the company and can create a majority you can amend the Articles with no problem.I hope this helps.If there are any further points please reply and I be happy to respond.Best wishesMichael