75100385

I have built a childrens play area at the bottom of my

Customer Question

Hi, I have built a childrens play area at the bottom of my garden which is 12ft high and my garden backs onto others neighbor garden. Today I received a letter asking me to remove it and stop all use of it. They are claiming it constitutes a private nuisance causing substantial and unreasonable interference with their use & enjoyment of their property.
Where do I stand as the play area has caused no damage to their property? yes the childern can see into their garden when on the climbing frame but really can they legally win a case to ask me to remove it?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 7 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Nicola,
I'm happy to wait for the right advice.Thank you
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 6 months ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  Ash replied 6 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.Who is asking you to remove it, the neighbour or Council please?Alex
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
so far it is just the neighbor but she has threatened taking it further. She gave us until yesterday to respond but I thought it best not to communicate with her yet.
My number is ***** 619333Kev
Expert:  Ash replied 6 months ago.
I would not worry Kev. There is no law against this.This is just a childrens play kit - there is nothing wrong. You dont need planning permission as its not a permanent structure.You have done nothing wrong and do not need to be bullied.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?ALex
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Are you sure she can not get the council to inspect it & then enforce it be taken down?
The structure has a raised platform & is a total height of 3.2 meters. The structure is pretty big but at the end of the day is smaller than any trees that I could plant!!!
Expert:  Ash replied 6 months ago.
The non planning conditions are:1. The shed / greenhouse / building is used for domestic purposes only.2. The ground area covered by the shed/greenhouse/building and any other buildings within the boundary of the property, excluding the original house, is not more than half the total area of the property.3. No part of the shed / greenhouse / building is in front of the principal or side elevation of the original house that faces onto a road.4. The maximum height of the shed / greenhouse / building is 4 metres.5. The maximum eaves height of the shed / greenhouse / building is 2.5 metres if it is within 2 metres of the property boundary.6. No part of the shed / greenhouse / building is within 3.5 metres of the boundary with a road to the rear of the house.7. If you live in a house within a World Heritage Site, area of outstanding natural beauty or National Park the maximum total area of ground covered by buildings, enclosures and pools situated more than 20 metres from any wall of the house does not exceed 10 square metres.8. If you live in a house within a conservation area, World Heritage Site, area of outstanding natural beauty or National Park the shed / greenhouse / building is not situated between the principal or side elevation of the house and its boundary.9. The building is not used for the keeping of pigeons.Does that clarify?Alex
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The structure is just outside the 2m (will be when I move the steps) boundary line & is 3.2m highAm I right in thinking if she gets difficult I can grow very large conifers so she wont see it anyway?
Expert:  Ash replied 6 months ago.
You can yes.Does that help?Alex