Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I was arguing with someone on a game, (runescape) and this

Hi, i was arguing with someone on a game, (runescape) and this person was constanly abusing me, calling me fat, c**t, all those type of things, which didn't really bother me. And i said something back, which i regret now and it was just out of anger but, would i get in trouble for it? He was saying he'd get police involved. (It wasn't racist.)
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. DId you make physical threats against the person or say anything obscene? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I said 'you deserve cancer' It sounds very horrible and i apologised and i didn't mean it, but that's it. He said to me, when i told him about my nan and grandad having it 'good, they deserve it' but he had being abusing me a lot, calling me all sorts of names and stuff.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't make any physical threats, few days ago i think he did to me. i can't remember what he said exactly.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you. I acknowledge that this is probably a highly offensive thing to say, but it is not physical threat, it is not racist or inciting prejudice. You may be kicked off the site, but it is extremely unlikely that this is something the police will even investigate. You do not have anything to worry about. Have you apologised? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah i apologised, i felt bad for it. But he go me really angry, and yes you've made me feel a lot better. I really appreciate it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You're positive nothing will happen?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. No problem. Telling someone you wish they had cancer is highly offensive, but I am fairly certain the police will not have the resources to investigate this. You look at other incidents where people have been jailed for social media offences, they tend to be matters that are highly obscene, and involve violence and are unprovoked. What you have said may be offences, but in context it was done out of provocation and was not just intended to upset or disturb. If the police do contact you for whatever reason, make sure you say you were heavily provoked and have since apologised, and regret your action. I doubt very much this will go anywhere.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah that makes a lot of sense, in a way, he was constantly sending abuse, so he was in the wrong more? When i only read said one thing. Thanks a lot.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you. He should not be abusing and bullying you through a social media/gaming platform either, this is potentially illegal as well. I would just apologise for your wording and make clear it was only as a result of provocation from him. I would then not continue to contact this person. Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay that's all sorted then, thankyou very much. A lot of help.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
No problem. If I can assist any further please let me know. Otherwise I would be most grateful if you would rate my answer. Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to bother you again, just overthinking but, if he was actually to contact the police, and really try hard to do something about it, will they just tell him no or?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you. They will either contact you to ask you to explain your side of the story, or they will just say it is not something they will investigate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you honestly think they'll not investigate? and how will they contact me, phone?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I mean i only said it once, after all the abuse, and apologised many times, so surely it can't go anywhere? And i don't know how he'd find out who i am or where i live? I never gave any details
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you. It is a relatively minor incident that has not escalated, so yes I think it seems unlikely they would have the resources to investigate this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh okay, I'm only concerned is because he seemed so sure he was going to get me arrested..i mean it just sounded like he was trying to get me to worry to be honest but
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you. I think that is the case. If he does not have your details and does not know you name they would have to go to expense and effort of tracking your IP address. I would not worry further about this. If anything does happen you have a reasonable explanation and crucially you have apologised. Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay mate, thankyou ever so much, Yeah i apologised several times and said i felt bad. Thanks.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
I wish you the best of luck. If I can assist any further please let me know. Kind regards AJ