75100385

There. I'm 19 years old and I'm a student. I have been charged

Customer Question

Hi there. I'm 19 years old and I'm a student. I have been charged with a minor crime. I allegedly slapped one of my friends on a night out. I do not remember doing so, I have never ever assaulted anyone in my life before nor been in trouble with the police in my life and I would never ever intend to hurt one of my friends on purpose. What is liable to happen to me? Is there any way I can apologise to the victim? I cannot believe I would do this. It makes me sick knowing I could have done this and I haven't had any legal advice so far and I really need help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi sorry, Its just my request did say it was urgent and the time expectancy keeps saying saying 8 minutes and it's been a few hours. I don't mean to be annoying I just really need some help
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.What is it you would like to know about this please?Do you have any previous convictions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry I would accept but I can't spend much more money. I want to know what happens now? I've been charged after being in the police station for 5 hours. What punishment is there likely to be? Since its a minor crime will I be able to apologise to the victim? And ive had no convictons no cautions or any bother with the police at all.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
What is the exact offence?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The exact offense is slapping my friend once in the face on a night out. This went down as a minor assault apparently. I don't remember doing this and I never would do it with the actual intent of hurting her because we never argued that night.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Do you accept the offence took place? Did other people see you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
See this is where it gets confusing. I can't believe she would make this up all on her own so I might have made some contact with her head but it would never ever have been intentional. But what's more confusing is that after this supposed incident, I left the nightclub with her and went home with her and her friends and we sat and talked for a bit and drank some Tea which I can't get my head round if she thought I assaulted her. The police tell me some people saw this yes.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok - well you can plead not guilty if you wish. The matter will go before Court and then it would be for the Police to prove that you are guilty. Just because you cant remember it does not mean you didnt do it.Therefore you need to be satisfied that there is enough evidence against you. There may be the injured person, witnesses etc.You are likely to be given a fine (depending on the injuries) or maybe a Community punishment.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. But if I did do this, it would be my first offense ever and it is minor by the polices's own admission. On the phone to the police officer dealing with it he described the slap as a "tap" in terms of how hard supposedly hit her and also said there didn't seem to be any real intent. The person is not Injured at all but there are people who saw this. Would this really be worth time going to court? Couldn't they just caution me if it's my first ever offense? Couldn't I just apologise for any harm caused?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
They could caution you, but worst case you could be charged.As whether you can just apologise is a matter for the Police.Does that clarify?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, one final question, would I have to make the offer of an apology or would the police have to come to me to see if I wanted to make one?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Yes you can offer this. You want this deal with as a caution if you can.Does that clarify?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK that's fine. That's all I want to ask. Thank you for your help
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex