75100385

If I make a wooden box and (fit led lights, or a bulb with

if I make a wooden box and (fit led lights, or a bulb with a bulb holder) and attach the wire, ie wire connect the blue and brown wire to the bulb holder, and wire a plug at the other end, can i then sell the product, what are the legal rights of mine, as the seller, and the consumer, and ware do I sit in relation to the electrical pat test regulations.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.Are you a qualified electrician please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not a qualified electrician, if I were I would know the answer to my question
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Is this a one off or do you intend to make a few of these or as a commercial business?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hope this will turn into a commercial business, each one made will be bespoke in size and shape, I hope to make and sell one a month to begin with
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its 5pm and i need to go out, you can email me on***@******.***
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
You need to make sure that it is PAT tested or electrically certified as safe. Either way you will need to be insured in case anyone is injured as a result of using this product.You will be liable for the product for 6 years after it has been purchased. Therefore you need to be satisfied that the product is safe in its design and use. However you achieve that is up to you, but I would suggest getting it testedCan I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thats a bit of a shocker, 6 years liable for the electrical components, and to be insured that will make it un economical to produce the product in the first place, its not like I am going to produce 1,000's of them, prob only 10 or 12 a year as a bespoke product, are the rules any different for these quantities, and are the rules any different for use inside or use outside, obviously for outside they need to be waterproof, if i brought something from say Ikea already to use with the plug on it and them just attached it to my product, do the same rules apply, or is that a loop hole I can use. thx for your help so far
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
No - the rule is 6 years from date of contract. That is the law under the Limitation Act 1980.Does that clarify?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes thank you
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex