31090051

A merger happened between two schools. I gave money towards

Customer Question

A merger happened between two schools. I gave money towards a fighting fund. The solicitor who took this on on a pro bono basis, a couple of years later pleaded guilty to false accounting. He is now in prison serving 5 years for fraud and this count of false accounting. In the meantime his firm went into liquidation before he was convicted. I applied to the SRA to get my money back. They are saying there is nothying left in the pot for me to get any recompense. Furthermore they say that as he is the director of this law firm they would have to ask him if he would consider me for compensation. This is ridiculous. The man is in jail. Part of his sentence was that he could no longer be a director of any company for the next 10 years. If the law firm is in liquidation and he cannot be a director, I want to kno9w why lawyers' firms have to have taken out liability insurance? I am not wanting my money back from the SRA or him. IO want it from his insurance company. His insurance was paid up and valid.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
His insurance is for acts of negligence. Your claim appears to be based on his dishonesty and not therefore covered by his insurance.