How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 11149
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

If a vet administers a drug that isn't licenced, or

Resolved Question:

Hi if a vet administers a drug that isn't licenced, or tested for that situation, is that negligece
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We had a c section done on a dog , The vet administered metacam / loxicom prior to removing the pups, eventhough it is contraindication in the drug data sheet it clearly states not to use this drug on pregnant or lactating bitches. I have always used this drug when lactating with no problems, In 15 yrs of breeding , when a c section is performed all the other vets have given this drug after removal of the pups while the bitch is still under anesthetic so not to depress the respitory systems any more than necessary , All my pups were born with heart beats and bar 1 all faded and died, costing me £10,500.00, the vet apologised and said there must have being something wrong with the anesthetics as the bitch was in good condiction and the pups were all fully formed healthy looking pups, I wondered do I have a case of negligence, as I am considering taking this to court, there insurers will not accept any liability and just think I should put up, shut up and go away, I look forward to hearing your response thankyou
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
It is likely to be negligence if no other vet of ordinary competence would have done it. The test of negligence is that the vet detracted from standard practice with no good reason for doing so. For that reason you will need to get an opinion from an experienced expert, ie, another vet, probably a senior partner is a vet practice. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you