Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Sir, I am going to apply Naturalisation next

Customer Question

Hello Sir, I am going to apply for British Naturalisation next month. I was on spouse visa and got my ILR in June 2014. On January 2015, I was driving my friends car and police stopped me and I was not entitled to drive that car however I was a named driver on my wife's car since January 2014. They gave me 6 points on my driving licence and £200 fine which I paid very next day. I didn't go to any court, it was just on the road, they stopped me and gave me points and fine. Now its been more than 1 year, how should I declare this while filling application form because its neither a criminal conviction nor a civil judgment. Which option do I need to tick on application form?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Dear Fahad, you need to declare this as a criminal conviction, as a fine of £200 was given. It is important to declare it, as Home Office stated, it is not going to affect your visa application. The key test in your Naturalisation application is one of being of "good character". Having a Road Traffic offence does not mean you are no longer of good character, as Visas & Immigration take the view that this type of offence can happen to anyone, whether looking for naturalisation or not. However, in making the application, you need to be honest, as if you are caught not telling the truth this would prejudice your application.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. So declare this in the criminal conviction box.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
3. Please Rate the Answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your Question.