75100385

I have a debt with HSBC in Hong Kong which, I have been previously

I have a debt with HSBC in Hong Kong which, I have been previously advised via Justanswer, cannot be enforced in UK, where I now live, because the contract is subject to Hong Kong Law. HSBC in HK have now transferred the debt to HSBC UK which in turn has baptised the debt to a UK debt collection agency. Do they have jurisdiction to enforce this?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.I think I dealt with this. Remind me, the jurisdiction of the contract was Hong Kong?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

correct

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
They can chase it here in the UK, but they cant take it to Court for the reasons we discussed before.There is no jurisdiction Act or agreement that allows them to issue proceedings in the UKCan I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK thanks. I was concerned that if they had sold the debt from HSBC HK to HSBC UK it might become a UK matter but I guess the contract is still an HK contract and unenforceable in UK. So they can harass me with letters and phone calls but not get the bailiffs in - correct?

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
No. It would go back to enforcement of a HK contract.Can't be done. They cant get bailiffs in, you are correct.Alex