75100385

I have a Regus lease and have been trying to cancel the agreement

I have a Regus lease and have been trying to cancel the agreement for the past two months. I have offered all kinds of mitigation but in all that time no one has come back with a firm proposal. The agreement is fixes for a year but circumstances have changed and I have explained that the rent cost will put us out of business unless we can do something about it. Their off the cuff advice was, basically, "Go Bust!"
I do not believe they are/have done anything to sell our space since giving notice
Expert:  Ash replied 10 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.Does it have a break clause please? It is in your name or a Ltd company name?Alex
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There is no break clause and the lease is in a Limited Company name.
There is no signed agreement as they believe a read receipt of an emailed document sufficient.
There are claims on website and in the reception area that they can downsize with no penalty but that hasn't materialised in 2 months
Expert:  Ash replied 10 months ago.
Do you have a personal guarantee ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No PG's given
Expert:  Ash replied 10 months ago.
Did you sign up online?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The first year was signed on hard copy. When we signed up it was apparently a year's contract that after the first year would be cancelled with one month's notice. In October/November I has hounded by a sales man to agree the next year's rent and that ended up being another fixed tem year
Expert:  Ash replied 10 months ago.
But you never signed anything to roll on? Why is it you want to move now and not back in October/November?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
In Regus terms I did by opening the email attachment.Circumstances have changes and our business needs to shed costs or fold. The biggest cost at the moment is an office for 5 people that only has 1 person using it. We obviously need a base for post etc. but not at the expense of staff,
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I need an angle to force them in to a decision because I have had no concrete responses to every suggestion I have proffered over the past two months.
Expert:  Ash replied 10 months ago.
Ok - well the goods news is you can just leave and all they can do is issue proceedings against you. As you are a Limited company and have no personal guarantee they can not touch you personally. You could just close down the Limited company.The bad news is that you are liable. If it had been the case back in October/November you had disputed it then you could have argued it was not a contract. But as you have been there for 6 months then sadly I dont think you can argue that at this stage.I am sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you want, nor the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Alex,
You are correct that this isn't the news I wanted to hear and I appreciate that you have to provide me with the correct information.I was just hoping that I had some solid ground in the fact that I have been trying to offer some form of mitigation to their position which isn't being acted upon.It is a shame that a company of Regus's size making the claims they do can only offer us going bust as an option?!?!?1Thank you for your help.Ian
Expert:  Ash replied 10 months ago.
Sadly I would have hoped they would have been a little more helpful, but clearly not.If there is no break clause then sadly you are tied in.Can I clarify anything else for you Ian?Alex
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No, that's fine thank you. I just wanted another opinion in the hope there was an angle.RegardsIan
Expert:  Ash replied 10 months ago.
If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience