Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

Me and my partner are buying larger property as tenants in

Customer Question

Me and my partner are buying larger property as tenants in common 50 % / 50%. However the bulk of the deposit will come from the sales of my own property which is nearly mortgage free. On purchase of our new property £480,000 will be from the sale of my property and £65,000 will be from cash my partner has in the bank, another 250,000 is a joint mortgage that my partner will pay. Can our separate capital share be noted in the purchase deeds? Or do we need extra documentation so if we split we can have our deposits back?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. Please confirm if you are in England or Wales and if you are married to your partner?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Harris,
England and not married yet
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. You can enter into a deed of trust/declaration of trust which can outline your individual contributions and how proceeds of sale will be divided in the event of a separation. In the meantime if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you