12826847

I have been married 18months, due to unreasonable behaviour

Customer Question

I have been married 18months, due to unreasonable behaviour I asked my husband to leave. He has mentally and physically been abusive. I am living in the morgaged house, paying utility bills and half morgage, we are planning to sell it asap. He put down a large deposit although all work to improve it was carried out by my dad, adding value on to it.
He is now demanding his full deposit back before we split the profit of the property, saying it was a gift from his family. Has he got a right to this. He says he has sought legal advise and due to the short marraige he can claim the fully deposit.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstHow long have you actually lived together and are there any children involvedHow much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?How much did the work done by your father increase the value of the property?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We lived in rented for 2 years, no children involved . Value approx £128,000 morgage £93.000.
Work increased value approx £12000-£14000
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We lived in rented accomodation for 2 years with no children involved.
The value of the property is £128,000-£130,000. Morgage still owed £93,000. Work iuncreased value by about £12000-£14,000
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
How much was the deposit?What income do you each have?