75100385

Madam, I've downloaded the Section 21 NTQ as well as Section 13 Notice pa

Customer Question

Dear Sir/Madam,
I've downloaded the Section 21 NTQ as well as Section 13 Notice packs. I have a group of tenants who are in their Assured Shorthold Statutory Periodic Tenancies, and I'd like to increase their rents. Ultimately I plan to set up new ASTs with the new increases. To err on the side of caution, do I serve both a Section 21 and Section 13 Notice of Rent Increase upon each tenant?
Any help would be gratefully received.
Rob
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.When did the fixed period expire please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Alex,Thanks for your email. At least 12 months has passed and the 'newest tenant' say, he went into statutory periodic on 23 August 2015.Regards.Rob
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Rob. I would serve the S.13 and S.21 notice. The S.13 notice of course needs to give the right of appeal and you cant increase the rent unless its acceptedThe S.21 notice as you know gives 2 months notice from the date of next billing period. Of course if you want to set up new AST's though then if that is the case just serve a S.21 notice.Once it gets to the end of the period they either leave or sign a new agreement with new rent.But you can issue both, there is nothing wrong with that.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Alex,Thank you so much. You have been a great help!Kind regards.Rob
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Morning Alex,I was just reflecting on your answer. I only have ASTs and wondered in what circumstances will I ever use a S.13? Commercially from the Landlord's perspective, I wouldn't really want to give the tenant a right of appeal.Thank you.Rob
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Then you wouldnt Rob. It would only ever be a S.21Alex