12826847

I have received a slanderous and threatening phone call from

I have received a slanderous and threatening phone call from someone that owes be an amount of money. The slander involved calling me a sexaul pervert and a paedolfile, also he called me a dump f#ck. The threats included veiled threats of physical harm to me. Could I send his person a cease and desist letter considering that there are no witnesses to this call, however he said he was recording the phone call, which I do not believe to be true.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Cease and desist doing what? Calling you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cease and desist and slanderous activity in respect to me, including calling me to issue threats or swear at me.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
That is not slander I'm afraid. Slander arises when you defame a person to a third party. Making adverse comments to their face does not amount to defamation.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Defamation is the act of damaging a person's reputation which cannot be done if the speaker only addresses that person.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this situation covered by The Communications Decency Act Of 1996?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
There is a new communication act which does capture adverse contact but if it is just one phone call then I'm afraid the police are unlikely to act.