12826847

I recently purchased a personal protection dog, purpose

Customer Question

I recently purchased a personal protection dog, for the purpose of becoming a Security Dog Handler. I bought the dog, from a Protection dog company, described as a fully trained adult, perfect for Security work. I was shown His Obedience training and protection work, which was good, and the dog seemed in good health. I was also told he was very good and behaved well in his crate. I paid £5000 for the dog. upon getting the dog home, I noticed in the house he was very disruptive, and seemed to have some behavioral issues, constantly walking in circles, and also obsessively chasing his tail, when put into his crated area, the dog barks constantly, for hours and hours on end, this went on for two days, even with distractions. when in the cage in the vehicle (ex police dog unit) he still constantly circles, and won't settle. he barks if the rear doors are left open. I contacted the Director of the company who sold me the dog & he suggested he could send me a 'No Bark collar' which would stop him barking, and that the dog was used to wearing one. At no point prior was I aware that the dog had needed to wear such a collar, which only stops the dog barking by force, & doesn't adhere to the issue of why the dog barks in the first place. Had I known this I would not have purchased the dog. He will not refund my money or take the dog back, saying he doesn't have the space and it isn't his fault. This isn't normal behavior for a dog, especially one that is supposedly trained for security purposes which involve constantly travelling & being kept in different places. I was under the impression the dog was of sound mind & character. ideal for security.
I now cannot keep the dog where I live because of the noise from the constant barking, & have had to pay to put him into kennels, but as the Seller refuses to take him, & I cannot afford to keep him in kennels any longer. I am at a total loss as to what to do with the animal, his welfare is at risk, and it isn't fair on him.
Please help me out if there is any legal stance I can take for him to take the dog back?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Do you want to keep him?