Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Can I have a Will in Canada Canadian assets and another

Can I have a Will in Canada for my Canadian assets and another in the UK for my UK assets?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Yes, you can have two separate wills - one in Canada and one in the UK - each to govern the assets in that country. This is possible with any jurisdiction. There is no rule of law which limits you to have solely one will. However, it is important when doing each individual will that you don't revoke all prior wills but instead make reference to the fact that your UK will only governs assets in the UK and your Canadian will only governs assets in Canada. Often, problems are caused by the solicitor or lawyer who drafts the will not being aware that the testator has a different will to govern the other jurisdiction. So, be careful when drafting each individual will that it doesn't revoke the other will.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your question.