75100385

I agreed to a verbal quote new roof to Criss, but was

Customer Question

I agreed to a verbal quote for a new roof to Criss, but was a bit iffy about it as their was no written documentation, another company offered a written quote £1000 less the next day, I called Criss and said I did not want to go a head, he is threatening to take me to the small clams caught if I back out of the job.
What do I do?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 8 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.
Have you requested a written quote and explained that you have been quoted a better price for the job?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I agreed to a verbal quote to a new roof with chris on sunday , 2 days later on another company put in a written quote for a new roof for £1000 less but offered a written quote, I called chris and said I wanted to cancel but he has threatened me with small clams caught
OK, thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can. We may be able to speak later. In the meantime, please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you
Just to check are you in Scotland?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
yes
ok I will need to move this to Scots Law as it was posted in UK law - someone will be with you ASAP, please do not reply to this, thanks
Expert:  Ash replied 8 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.Did you sign any contract, or was it all verbal?Alex
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no it was just verbal
Expert:  Ash replied 8 months ago.
Calling now. Alex
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
thats the wrong number
Expert:  Ash replied 8 months ago.
Whats the number?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Id like to just email Im very stressed Im shaking then now
Expert:  Ash replied 8 months ago.
Ok - did you order this contract at a distance, or did they come to your house?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
he came to the house to look at the roof, and gave a price £5800, but I was not sure so he said he could do it for £5400 cash, and I said yes, I called later to ask how the payments would work, and he said the first part would be £2000 when the roof was striped and the felt on and the rest when the job was done and I had said I was happy with that as I could not afford it all straight away.That was all sunday I called tuesday at 14:00 to cancel
Expert:  Ash replied 8 months ago.
Dont worry. Under the Doorstep Selling Regulations you have 14 days in which to cancel. This is the law.Therefore it makes no difference what was agreed or when he would start, he MUST give you 14 days cooling off period.You cancelled within that and therefore you owe NOTHING.If he bullies you, contact the Council as it is a criminal offence to try and get you to pay.For more information on Doorstep selling please see the Government website:https://www.gov.uk/doorstep-selling-regulationsCan I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank god... He said he had got it all delivered to his house yesterday and was going to charge me for it, the more I thought about it the more worried/terrified I was that their was no written agreement, the job was going to start next week is that still ok with the 14 day cooling off period
Expert:  Ash replied 8 months ago.
No, he can NOT charge you for anything. It makes no difference if he was going to start next week, you cancelled well within time.Does that clarify? Alex
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I read this on the linkExceptions
These rules don’t apply to:financial services eg mortgages, pensions, insurance
contracts for the construction of new houses and flats, sale or rental of property (but they do apply to estate agents’ marketing services, extensions, patios, conservatories or driveways and to repairs, refurbishment and improvement of property)
contracts for food and drink supplied by regular roundsmen, like a milkman
contracts worth £42 or less.
Expert:  Ash replied 8 months ago.
Correct. But this DOES apply. Again, dont worry - he is trying it on.Alex
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
thank you so much
Expert:  Ash replied 8 months ago.
Happy to help. If you read the exceptions (worded badly) they do apply for repairs etc.