How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 47341
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Madam, I write with reference to an application

Resolved Question:

Dear Sir/Madam,
I write with reference to an application for an enhanced DBS I made on the 20th July 2015—an application that has so far—quite unbelievably—produced no results in the direction of receiving this critical certificate.
My application was made while I was working as a private care worker to supplement my income as a student social worker, and when this DBS did not come through in a reasonable period of time I was effectively unemployable in this position and any other roles in my industry. Regrettably, after ten months, I have not received this certificate.
I have been in touch with***@******.*** who, in my opinion, is simply giving me the generically worded run-around to avoid committing to commenting specifically on my case, which has so far got me literally nowhere with this application.
I am aware that the DBS is legally liable to pay compensation in such matters if they have caused a financial loss. Thus, I would like to inquire as to the procedure for applying for compensation from the DBS as there is no procedure listed online and nothing on their site, and they really need to be both made accountable for this while at the same time motivating them to produce this document.
Thank you for advice.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Please can you tell me how you made your application i.e. was it via a third party company or not?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

The application was made via an agency that acted on behalf of an individual who wanted to hire me as a care worker for her son.

I hope this helps.


Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

OK, thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Many thanks for your patience. It is indeed possible to seek compensation for unreasonably delayed DBS checks, where such delays have directly resulted in loss of earnings. In the first instance the party applying for the check can escalate the matter directly with the DBS. You should ask the agency that made the application to log on to the portal where they made it and to see if there is the option to escalate this – it is usually done online by clicking on a dedicated Escalate button. It can be done via this site:

If the escalation process has completed and there is still no resolution, you may wish to consider making a formal claim against them for compensation. You could use specialist lawyers to do this, such as:

As this can be a complex matter you are best advised to use a specialist solicitor to assist with the claim process.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you